Billy Johnson

I am British but I live in Canada, last summer (2009) my family moved from the quiet English county of Kent to Ontario. From then on my life has become progressively more exciting and maybe even worth blogging about. Anyway I guess I'm the average British teen in Canada who's passionate about music, writing and left-wing politics.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lazy Saturday

Today's Rating 6/10
Due to laziness I haven't really written anything since Monday, also this week hasn't been hugely exciting. School's just been typical boring school except for someone's locker getting set alight to and a fight between two grade tens (over a girl apparently). Haven't really been doing too much after school either except for tuesday when I was hanging out with a mate down the road, and Friday when a bunch of us hung out for the night and watched The Hills Have Eyes. I've just been taking it easy really, I'm now reading The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger I'd heard so much about the book that I just felt I had to read it and also I was sort of getting bored of Philip Roth, who's books I've been reading a lot recently. Anyway I'm pretty much hooked on it, the main character is so easy to identify with and the themes of angst and rebellion are very relatable.

I managed to sleep my way through three of my English classes this week, an achievement I'm pretty proud of, anything other than listening to my pompous English teacher delivering yet another self-righteous anecdote reminding us of just how awesome he is. First teacher I've hated since coming to Canada, not that I get in trouble with him or anything, he's just unbearably stupid and so full of himself, its ridiculous. Anyway... rant over. Schools going okay-ish I'm playing out my usual routine of early morning coffee's and doing just enough work to get by, I have a feeling I'm going to fail French this semester though. I've also decided I need to do more extra-curricular activities, aside from hanging out with friends I do almost nothing outside school and I really need more on my very empty C.V. which has of yet failed to get me hired anywhere.

Been talking and just sorting things out since last Sunday and I'm now pretty certain things are going to brighten up a bit. Friends and music have also helped of course and right now Canada isn't seeming quite so dire again. Might be getting a lip piercing (despite the bewilderment of my family) sometime over the next month, it's going to go nicely with the haircut I'm getting on tuesday, going a bit Punk's going to be fun I think.

Today's Song
Today's song is The Ballad of Billy the Kid by Billy Joel on the album Piano Man. I've never been a huge fan of Billy Joel (apart from the song Piano Man of course) but this ballad is really something else. It's about, of course, the notorious cowboy gangster Billy the Kid and it contains a wonderful instrumental that really brings the western theme alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment